Thursday, April 1, 2021

“Outer Conditions are Temporary”

Welcome Back – Glad to be Back

Dear Unity Friends, I wrote occasional blogs for Stepping Stones Journal with Rebecca Stoker while I was working part time at Unity Spiritual Center. When I left employment at Unity in December 2019, I also stopped posting blogs.

I loved the challenge of noticing what was happening in my life that might be helpful or interesting to share with someone else. It’s been over a year since then, and what a year it has been!

USC Touchstone, a new blog, was introduced by Rev Carmela and Denny last September. While I was reviewing 2020 and making resolutions (yes, I do) for 2021 I realized that I wanted to get back into contributing. It took a while to start writing again. This is my first contribution. My intention, as before, is to share something every week.

Caring comments are welcome: jeaprojects@gmail.com


“Outer Conditions are Temporary”

I have been in the dumps for days - on the verge of tears, not in the mood to talk to or communicate in any way with anyone. I felt completely apathetic about everything except when I hated everyone and everything in my life. When I was feeling that way about my nearest and dearest, I knew this was about me, not them. Then it dawned on me that I was depressed.* Maybe not clinically depressed and not suicidal but depressed nevertheless. It felt really bad. I felt really bad.

Focusing on the stressors in my life is a spiral to the dumps. Some of these include the isolation because of Covid-19, having a brand new puppy that needs lots of training, always tired (a new puppy interrupts sleep and not sleeping well is a symptom of depression), frustration trying to get vaccine appointments for my husband and myself, frustration not being able to visit my 95 year old mom in Illinois. There is a long enough list, probably like everyone else.

So what was I going to do about it? The first slight lightening was when I named it. But that wasn’t enough. I still needed to know what else to do, how else to be. I called on some of my spiritual practices: don’t take anything personally and don’t make assumptions. Let go Let God and Golden Key the situation. Turn it over to God. Life comes to Pass, this too will pass.

I wondered who to call: a friend who is a therapist, one of my sisters, my former Minister. I didn’t call any of them. I wrote in my journal. Going it alone is typical. Then I Googled what to do about it. There were plenty of articles about identifying what I was feeling and also what to do about it.

I started listing recommendations in my journal:

      1.       Reach out to other people.
2.       Get moving.
3.       Eat a mood boosting diet.
4.       Find ways to engage again in the world.
5.       Practice relaxation techniques every day.
6.       Care for a pet.
7.       Spend time in nature.
8.       List what you like about yourself.
9.       Take care of a few small tasks.
10.   Challenge negative thinking.

At that point I was copying so much that I decided to download the whole article. Its title is “Coping with Depression” on Coping with Depression - HelpGuide.org. Please note that if you or someone you know is in crisis or is in danger, see resources here Get Help - Depression Solutions.

The recommendations that worked the best for me were to reach out to others, to get moving, to spend time in nature, and to challenge negative thinking (see Daily Words below). I’m better now though I continue to use many of these recommendations. Plus I am lifted up by warmer, sunnier weather and I am so grateful to a friend who was able to get both my husband and me Covid-19 vaccine appointments.

Two recent Unity Daily Words were helpful too:

Faith. “Sometimes…an obstacle feels too big to surmount…I feel discouraged when I start believing more in problems than possibilities. At those times when I need to rekindle my belief in myself…Faith is my power to believe, which leads me to know I can do all that I set out to do.

Protected. “No matter what is going on around me, I keep my thoughts focused on God. This gives me the perspective that outer conditions are temporary, and the presence and power of God is the only enduring reality.”

When I read those words I do my best to take them to heart, to breathe and to believe I am truly protected.

I wish the same for each of you. With love,

~ Jean

* I have felt this way at least twice in the past, many years ago both times but did not identify what I was feeling. I was working full time then which helped divert me from my feelings. I muddled through one day at a time. All those years ago I didn’t have Unity teachings in my life nor the many resources I have gained from Unity classes and book discussions. Fortunately I do now. Thank you, Unity!

Images: usatoday.com and retrocitycycles.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going on Hiatus

 Dear Unity friends, I have decided to take a break from posting to Unity's Touchstone. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season. With l...