Thursday, April 8, 2021

Pass It On

Do you remember the movie Pay It Forward (released in October 2000)?

Here’s the storyline: Young Trevor McKinney, troubled by his mother's alcoholism and fears of his abusive but absent father, is caught up by an intriguing assignment from his new social studies teacher, Mr. Simonet. The assignment: think of something to change the world and put it into action. Trevor conjures the notion of paying a favor not back, but forward--repaying good deeds not with payback, but with new good deeds done to three new people. Trevor's efforts to make good on his idea bring a revolution not only in the lives of himself, his mother and his physically and emotionally scarred teacher, but in those of an ever-widening circle of people completely unknown to him. Written by Jim Beaver <jumblejim@prodigy.net>

Loving the concept, right after I saw that movie the winter of 2000-2001, I remember one instance where I paid it forward. I was driving into a state park in Florida and paid my entrance fee and the fee for the car coming in behind me. I had hoped to remain anonymous not realizing that this particular park had only one parking area. The family followed me in and thanked me when we had parked.

I still love the concept and it came back to me 21 years later this March when I was feeling anxious and completely incompetent getting appointments for the Covid-19 vaccine for my husband and myself. In my previous post, I shared that I stopped communicating with anyone. Not hearing from me, a friend emailed me on March 2 with this simple message: Have you been successful getting a vaccine appointment? I have some ‘tricks’ for two pharmacies if you need them.

I didn’t bother to email her, I picked up the phone and called her immediately. We talked for a while about how some of the pharmacies are posting appointment dates and then she offered to try to get us appointments that night, a Thursday, if I sent her our information. I did and then I began to hope but also try to be realistic (I didn’t even tell my husband about the chance). That night around midnight when I was already asleep she had success. First thing Friday morning I checked my email and there was a message from her hoping she had succeeded. She had! There was also an email from Rite Aid Pharmacy confirming our appointments for the next Tuesday. I was ecstatic and so grateful. Only later that day did I notice that I was also feeling incredibly peaceful, something I hadn’t felt in a while.

Tuesday came and we both got our first shots of the Pfizer vaccine (the 2nd shot to be three weeks later, same weekday and time). Right after that shot I thought of friends who might be feeling as anxious as I was to get an appointment for the vaccine – especially those in my age group and a young teacher friend. I began to email and telephone them. Many had already been vaccinated, some had not. My first friend continued to send me more hints for getting appointments and I kept forwarding them to anyone who still needed shots.

On March 15, one friend texted this: “You’re my hero! I have an appointment for the vaccine at Walmart next week. Thank you very much!”

My teacher friend had her first shot on March 16 and the second is scheduled.

I am so grateful for the help from my friend and it felt GREAT passing on her tricks and hints to everyone I could think of. Paying it forward feels amazing.

I welcome hearing from anyone who would like to share their Pay It Forward story. (jeaprojects@gmail.com)

~ Jean

P.S. The last I heard from my first friend, she has signed up 11 people so far. How great is that!

Image: maine.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going on Hiatus

 Dear Unity friends, I have decided to take a break from posting to Unity's Touchstone. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season. With l...