Thursday, July 29, 2021

Moving Through Life Gently

Today I wanted to write again about how I want to greet the day. Last Friday's Unity Daily Word was Gentle. I love this concept in many ways. The affirmation was

I move through life gently.

This follows so nicely after my wonderful mindfulness walk last week. "Like a warm breeze that softly touches the skin, I interact with the world gently. I respond to all people and situations in a calm, loving manner. I listen with an open mind and give with an open heart. Today I choose to extend gentleness to everyone I encounter, including myself."

These are the first sentences of the meditation. I choose gentleness (and peace) each day. I choose gentleness because I want to be treated with gentleness. Life has plenty of harsh and hard lessons for us. I have an aging mother who more and more each day seems to be losing contact with reality. It's hard for her and for me and my siblings. I also have a friend, a young mother with two grade school-aged children and a loving husband who was diagnosed over 2 years ago with inoperable cancer, given 1-3 years to live. She writes that treating cancer is her job. This is a harsh diagnosis and hard for her, her family and everyone who loves her. There are many ways life and we can be hard:

  • hard and fast (rigid, unchangeable, unalterable)
  • hardened (unbending, deadened)
  • hard going (tough, laborious)
  • hardheaded (willful, stubborn or sensible, rational, shrewd)
  • hardhearted (brutish, unfeeling, heartless)
  • hardnosed (stubborn, unyielding)

The best way to meet these challenges is with God's love and gentleness. Gently is how I want to greet each day and each person I meet during the day. (See May 27 post - How will I greet this day? By the simple act of asking this question, I remind myself that I have a choice.)

From James 1:19-20 - You must understand this, my beloved: let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger; for your anger does not produce God's righteousness.

Go gently today and every day. With love,

~ Jean

Image: 123rf.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going on Hiatus

 Dear Unity friends, I have decided to take a break from posting to Unity's Touchstone. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season. With l...